No amount of exercise is going to make up for unhealthy eating, especially if youre past a certain age. Eating junk and being over-weight will prevent you from reaching your longevity potential by contributing to the development of certain diseases.
If you’re eating processed, high saturated fat, or sugary foods, not only will your health suffer, you may be struggling with unwanted pounds. Eating fresh food and the right food is crucial for maintaining health and weight, throughout your life. While there is no single diet to ensure wellness and longevity, the diets eaten by centenarians of the Blue Zones are a good blueprint.
1. Start each day with grapefruit. Grapefruit has been shown to boost metabolism long after youve finished eating. In addition, the fiber will help you feel full longer. Grapefruit eaters may be able to not only lose weight, but reduce abdominal fat as well. (Check with your doctor if youre on proscription medication, as grapefruit does interfere with the effectiveness of certain meds)
2. Have a cup-o-joe. Coffees days of disdain are over. That old black magic has been proven to be rife with health benefits and will also rev-up your metabolism.
3. Eat fat, but make it the right fat. Unsaturated fat is what youre seekingthe kind in fish, nuts, olive oil and avocados. These poly and mono-unsaturated fats are not only healthy, they fill you up so youll eat less and theyll help burn more body fat.
4. Have a big salad, daily. You can never have too many greensarugula, spinach, swiss chard. Experiment, combine, switch it up. These nutrient dense, high fiber foods will fill you up fast. Add in things like seeds, garbonzo beans and feta cheese to make a hearty, satisfying meal. Drizzle with olive oil for a healthy finishing touch.
5. Make sure youre putting in extra steps everyday. Make a conscious effort to move more. It will result in additional calories burned.
6. Do planks and push-ups. No, you cant spot reduce. But we all lose muscle as we age, which is why our metabolism slows down and we gain weight. Dont spend long hours exercising aerobically. Build muscle instead and enjoy the benefits that come with it. More muscle means more calories burned, even at rest.
With a little thought and extra effort, youll not only lose a few pounds, but put yourself on the path to a longer, healthier life.